Tuesday 16 October 2012

Samsung Galaxy Note 2: review incoming!

The successor to our first ever review device is in our hands...

Hi everyone!

Quick post to let everyone know that the Note 2 is of course in our hands and undergoing the usual gruelling 'real-user' treatment here at AndroidNZ. If you read our review of last years phablet flagship, then you probably know that while there may be many other reviews of the Note 2, there is really only one that is going to do this epic device justice (ours, if I haven't been obvious enough there!).

If ther Note 2s arrival at AndroidNZ is news to you, then you clearly aren't following us on Twitter - why aren't you following us on Twitter?! Hit up @Android_NZ to put things straight. We're not prolific, so there's no need to worry about us spamming up your timeline, you just get to enjoy the cosy feeling of security that comes with always being up to the minute with happenings here.

Oh, and things are going to unfold slightly differently this time around too, since two editors will be contributing to the review - myself (@NZtechfreak) and Nik (@onslaught86). We're also worth a follow in Twitter, if I do say so myself, particularly if you want to see how we're getting on with the Note 2 as it happens.

Naturally, if you have questions you'd like addressed in the review please feel free to fire away in the comments below, or via social media.

Anyways, catch you again soon with all of our Note 2 content, kicking off soon with the first part of the review, Root guide, top ten apps, connectivity demo video and more...

14 comments:

  1. Please comment on charging. I love my Note, but charging on non-Samsung chargers sucks. I'm not sure if Samsung is purposefully doing this or there are technical limitations. I'm aware that the Samsung chargers short out the data lines and this improves charging, but I want to buy any old charger to do the trick.
    First Note review was the best review ever.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charging off non-Samsung Note 2 chargers is likely to be pretty horrible with the Note 2 also I'm afraid - possibly more so! The Note 2 charger is 2A, like tablet charger, rather than 1A like the usual norm for phones. This is great in that the regular charger is indeed very quick, but doesn't bode well for non-Samsung chargers of course.

      Delete
  2. Good to see a review team here. Waiting on the review on the Galaxy Note 2 too! I would like to see how it fares when playing games such as Dead Trigger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your review style, the clarity, attention to details and the connectivity! Can't wait for your take on the Gnote 2!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lanita! Nik (onslaught86) is joining me in this review, his Note 2 software review is going to be something to behold too!

      Delete
  4. Howdy. Just found your site. Any idea when the review is coming?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michael!

      First part should be along in a day or two, second part (Niks piece) is virtually complete so will come hard on the heels of the first.

      BTW, we have comment moderation here, so all comments require approval before going out (a sad necessity due to spam unfortunately, but we check a couple of times daily for legitimate comments).

      Delete
    2. Sounds great, looking forward to it.

      BTW, I love your video with all the things you can attach to the Note2. I watched the beginning and then skimmed the rest. Do you try plugging in the GoFLex directly? Did it work?

      Delete
    3. Thanks Michael.

      You know what, I didn't even try plugging the GoFlex in. How remiss. No matter how many of these videos I do I always miss a couple of little things that would be good to show! WIll let you know about that later today when I get home from work.

      Delete
  5. What kind of icons are they on the above screenshot of galaxy note2?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't get it??? I have been a regular visitor ever since I accidentally stumbled upon your EPIC Galaxy Note I review (which by the way sealed my decision to buy one).

    Since then, I have been waiting for your review of the SGS-III, and after the initial post teasing the review, you seem to have abandoned it? All we get is posts reviewing cases - I am a little perplexed... It's been nearly six months the initial tease - are you still working on the review? Or have you decided you are not going to complete the review?

    I see the same pattern here with the Gnote-II... Is it going to face the same fate, or are we eventually going to read a review of this device?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I greatly appreciated your thorough reviews of the Note and the 7.7 Galaxy tab. I was intent on buying the note but after a tantalising try of the Note 2, I am torn. I would appreciate comments comparing the two, considering that the price is coming down on the Note.

    I would also like to know more about split screen capabilities. Can say you split the screen between an Office Word type app and bible software, or is it limited to the apps appearing in the sidebar? Many thanks.

    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not sure whether to address this to you or Nick (or how to ask you a question directly) but this applies to all versions of Samsung's Note devices. You have given us beautiful instructions for Rooting and Flashing these mobile devices. What I would like to know is if we change our Note from plain vanilla to a Mod, do we retain full S-Pen functionality. Please forgive me if you have already covered this and I missed it. I would like to mod my original SG Note as it is still only ICS, but I really need--and love--all the S-Pen apps and functions. Please clue me in so I can make the leap if there is no harm done.
    Thanks for all the awesome reviews and totally great work the entire AndroidNZ team does!
    yeshe

    ReplyDelete